Old 12-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Wallaby Wallaby is offline
Registered User

Default How do I take care of the apple tree in our garden?

Hello, I am new to this forum. I hope it is okay to ask this!

We have an apple tree in our back garden which the previous owners seemed to basically leave to go wild as far as I can see. Last autumn I noticed the tree had lots of apples on it but they looked a bit bug-eaten etc. They ended up just falling off the tree. I got my pre-schooler to gather them all up off the ground (several times) and put them into the compost bin so my husband wouldn't just run them over with the mower. (He did this once and we were left with shredded apples everywhere for a while!)

My question is - I would like to take care of the tree this year and hopefully get some edible apples out of it. Is this feasible? I have no idea where to start. I am a complete novice and have no idea how to care for an apple tree.

Any advice would be much appreciated! I am also hoping to plant a small kitchen garden (some lettuce etc) so I will be asking about that soon too I am sure.

Thank you in advance for your help.