Old 12-02-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Default Monterey Pine Orchid Bark

Yeah, if you need a 20' cargo container of it...
http://www.moutere.com/bark
For the quantities used in the study that probably triggered this thread...
Contact Erik Runkle at MSU.
His email is buried in
http://www.hrt.msu.edu/faculty/Runkl...20part%202.pdf

Actually this bring up an off thread question.
How do folks that continually tinker with potting materials
obtain their inital samples for testing? And when they make
the move to being distributors, is it normal to end up with
a couple cargo containers of the material?

I tinker quite a bit, and when I find something I think might work I go
into research mode. Unfortunately, my usual research is the internet,
and a lot of the weirder things I want to try aren't easily found, even
on the internet. I did find a very nice lightweight aggregate at a
landscape supply company, never hurts to check at the rock yard for
orchid potting materials.

I am not a 'distributor' of anything, since I can barely get my act
together to ship plants, much less supplies. I might be listed as a
distributor by a few wholesalers, since yes, the only way to get some of
these things is to buy in bulk. I haven't bought a container of
anything yet. I did order two pallets (80 bags) of diatomite a year or
so ago, which would last me a decade (although I have sold quite a few
bags locally). The lightweight aggregate I found I ended up ordering 40
yards of (it cost the same to deliver 5 or 40 yards, might as well), it
is in a large pile next to the greenhouse. I also ordered 100 bags of
MSU fertilzer, even though I only go through a half dozen a year (I also
sell a few of those locally), and 100kg of cork slabs from Portugal. If
you have space to store things (I have a 1500sq foot barn), it pays to
buy in bulk.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1