Old 12-02-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hazchem hazchem is offline

Default hosepipe bans

On 24 Jan, 11:55, "hazchem" wrote:
On 19 Jan, 21:34, "Mike Lyle" wrote:

hazchemwrote:
I was thinking that maybe we will be getting hosepipe bans every year,
but then I thought maybe we will get more rain in winter. Should we all
plant taking into account bans every year or not?

I think we should _always_ try to plant with an eye to using as little

water as possible, regardless of hosepipe bans. Watering is no way to
spend one's weekends, and you get a better garden if the plants like
the natural conditions there. I'm not a purist on this, any more than I
am about anything else: at some times and in some places and for some
plants you've got to water, and there's nothing else for it. But much
of the watering I see people doing is a waste of effort.

--
Mike.

I am growing more and more grape vines on my allotment and fewer and
fewer vegetables. I don't know how the people who run the site will
react to this. They may not like it. I'm sure some of them will
disapprove. It will help me explain if I say that I am anticipating
hose pipe bans every year, and that watering vegetables with a watering
can makes traditional allotment gardening more difficult than in the
past.

However, if we will be getting wetter winters as well as hotter drier
summers then maybe it will not happen every year.

Andrew.

According to the gardening section of this Saturday's Daily Telegraph,
there may be 10% to 30% more rain in winter, but there may also be 20%
to 50% less rain in summer. Overall (by 2080) there may be a 10% to
20% decrease in mean annual rainfall. So I would think hosepipe bans
are more likely in the future. The article says we should store rain
water, but I don't think that for most people that will go very far.