Old 18-02-2003, 07:15 PM
slackjeep

Default Combining Roses with climbing vines

Cass wrote in message . ..
In article , slackjeep
wrote:

I have a similar question but I would like to combine a Joseph's Coat
climbing rose with a red trumpet vine on the same post of my pergola.
I figure the red trumpet would grow quicker and cover the top of the
pergola where the rose would stay more on the actual post and in
front. The colors are similar.

Neat combination. Double check whether the scarlet trumpet vine clings
with tentacles. That would be a limiting factor. Although clematis
cling, they are not voracious or heavy like a trumpet vine.

Sorry about my naivete' but i'm quite green (no pun) when it comes to
gardening. Are tenacles similar to how Passion vines cling? If so, I
don't believe the trumpets cling with tenacles but I will double
check.

What I like about the trumpets is that they tend to become quite
barren at the bottom once they are very well established. Most people
don't like this because who wants brown woody branches at eye level.
But this is what makes me think it would be a great combination with a
climbing rose. The woody branches will give the roses something to
cling too.

The trumpets I've seen in my area tend to be less evasive than the
bougenvillas or morning glories. We made the mistake of adding
Morning Glories to our front fence. Now everyone in our neighborhood
has them!!

Thanks for your help.
Dorys