Old 12-02-2007, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Larry Stoter Larry Stoter is offline

Default OT - Nightingales in February?

David Rance wrote:

Today at about 1 a.m. I was astonished to hear what I thought was a
nightingale here in Normandy. Is this possible? Has anyone else heard a
nightingale this early in the year?

David

So unlikely as to be virtually impossible. Nightingales winter south of
the sahara and the earliest arrivals in Europe are late March. In
addition, nightingales sing at dusk and dawn, not in the middle of the
night.

Most likely to be a songthrush or possibly a blackbird, stimulated
either by bright artificial lighting or perhasp a bright, clear full
moon.
--
Larry Stoter