Old 13-02-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith \(Dorset\) Keith \(Dorset\) is offline

Default OT - Nightingales in February?

David,

Hi,

As a lifelong birder / naturalist (for 40 years) I would suggest that this
is most highly unlikely. Nightingales are not an early summer migrant and
would not normally be on territory for a few months yet.

By coincidence a friend here in Dorset asked me a similar question a few
days ago. I suggested to him that it's most likely to be a Robin. They do
sing at night... and the call is all the more 'obvious' when everything else
is quiet. The Robin is usually the first of all birds to sing during spring
dawn chorus - and they very often start before daybreak.

Of course it 'may' be a Nightingale... nothing in the world of ornithology
seems impossible.

With best wishes,

Keith
Dorset, UK

"David Rance" wrote in message
Today at about 1 a.m. I was astonished to hear what I thought was a
nightingale here in Normandy. Is this possible? Has anyone else heard a
nightingale this early in the year?

David
--
David Rance