Old 13-02-2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith \(Dorset\) Keith \(Dorset\) is offline

Default Rodents and their (safe) demise

Hi,

We all put rat poison into pieces of plastic drain pipes (with a block on
the top to keep it in place), to prevent the poison getting washed away -
and spare other vermin while we are at it.

Cheers,

Keith

"Robbo" wrote in message
Anyone in URG had any success in eradicating dear old Roland Rat from
their garden *without* resorting to rodenticide?

There are several cats in my area and I *really* don't want a knock on
effect of Rat poison if they get to a carcass etc.
I also have a dog, who's naturally inquisitive about "roadkill" and the
like so I am looking for a more humane way of despatching these little
buggers before the veg patch gets it's first seedlings soon.

I had some success with a squirrel trap, but it had to return to it's
rightful owner. Redistribution of the "I eat anything you leave lying
around" rodents was working quite well..... Until they bred and now we
have a few too many. Shooting them is my neighbours resolution, but I
don't want to sit on a rotating stool doing Japser Carrot impressions late
into the night.

Local council aren't too bothered as we are adjacent to a farm and it's
the "norm" around these parts generally.