Old 13-02-2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kentucky Kentucky is offline

Default Moles/gophers heading my way - how to stop?

On Feb 13, 7:39 am, Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
wrote:
Yea I would name them
but if you want to get rid of them you have to get rid of what they eat

so try a grub remover

but really I would name them
you are lucky to have animals around

we have rabbits some people dont like them
but this is their home too so putting some wire around
the few plants they like to eat is not much trouble

when the benifit is I can look out in the yard and see a rabbit

Might as well start thinking of a name for your new invisible pet.

There are good reasons to treat for grubs, but a mole's diet is 70%
earthworms. So, a well maintained property will have plenty of those and
be very inviting to a mole. Try searching this newsgroup for mole info.
They are extremely difficult to remove/kill.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)- Hide quoted text -

I recommend complete surrender before they attack.
Terms could include:
lawn aeration and pest removal by the moles in exchange for
a few lawn scalps by the power mower.
Seriously, we have a major mole population here in this part of
Kentucky.
We fought them valiantly for years, traps, sprays, poison baits, gas
bombs etc. etc.
Bottom line,, we lost. Moles cannot be controlled in isolation.
You would need to gain support and cooperation from all your immediate
neighbors as
moles travel quite well overland.
Limiting food they find attractive also eliminates many beneficial
friends as well.
So around here we just stumble around the yard until June when the
moles get dormant and/or go deep underground in the summer heat.
A few trips with the riding mower and the yard starts levelling up
again.
My neighbors also roll their yards but I have not found that to be
necessary.
My lawn is "Darwinian" in nature but that is another story.
Good luck.