Old 13-02-2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Gasoline Storage Question?

Dwight wrote:

I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy
cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use a two quart Clorox bottle or something of a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage
motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

If you are in the USA it is against federal law to store gasoline in
anything other than an approved plastic or metal can. The one gallon
plastic is what I use for my small motors. There is a product called
Stabile that keeps the gas from going stale and gumming up your
carburetors, I use it in all my small motors. I wouldn't use a plastic
container that originally contained anything else because some plastics
melt on contact with gasoline.

George