Old 14-02-2007, 08:47 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Using gray water

You would need to call the water authority as I don't believe it is
legal to use gray water in the landscape. If you do a search, there
are methods being used which make it feasible.

I don't know what's in Tide, but I assure you it will probably kill
many of the soils biota. The surfactants, etc...

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:18:51 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

Our washing machine is near an outside wall. I chiseled through the brick,
cut a
hole in the inside wall, and installed a two inch PVC pipe about three feet
tall.

On the outside, the PVC pipe goes into a 55 gallon plastic barrel which lays
on its side. I rigged up an attachment to the bottom of the barrel onto
which I attached a hose.

I run hose out about 150 feet to water Live Oak trees. The washer uses
about 30 gallons per wash load, so rather than waste it in the septic
system, I thought it was better to use for watering. We never use bleach in
the wash, only Tide.

My question is: Is there anything in the water that will damage the trees?

Thanks, Bob