Old 14-02-2007, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joegina Joegina is offline

Default Cultivating a box (privet) hedge

I need information on the above. What I am dealing with is box privet
hedges which are approx 2 feet high and vary in width from 12 to 24
inch. The lady I work for wants them to be manicured, either in their
current shape or into a wedge shape. Can I cut them from square to
wedge in one go. or is this a long term project, say 3 - 4 years? I
musn't bare them so badly that they don't green up this season. When
should I attack? She seems to be of the view that this must be done by
hand. I want to use a petrol hedgecutter initially and then tidy by
hand. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks, Johnny