Old 15-02-2007, 05:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default Sick koi and need advice (with pics)

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:36:41 -0600, Zëbulon
wrote:

That was one fish. You still haven't
replied why it's so dangerous for a koi with pox to be in a man made stock
pond but it's not dangerous for it to be a man made ornamental pond.

I raise my hand, even though you won't answer my questions straight up.

You keep your ponds netted so herons can't fly off with your fish, and
than
accidentally drop them in a natural waterway.

No Heron is going to carry an adult koi several miles and drop in anywhere.
Also Jan, the tub that fish was in was not netted because she was too large
for a heron or kingfisher. Are you saying that anyone who has a fish with
pox must net their pond or holding tanks? The only things netted around
here are holding fish small enough for the large bullfrogs, turtles or
herons to take.

I assume the stock pond is
not netted, this is usually the case since it would be detrimental to the
stock to drink from it, and get caught in netting?

I also assume most ponds are not netted, and pox, not being fatal, is not an
uncommon infection. I have seen it on local pond tours and few of those
ponds were netted.

Thus a heron could catch
and release right into a natural waterway. Not only has this happened,
we've had ponders locally come home to a strange, but dead fish in their
pond. Now if that isn't scary, I don't know what is.

Of course it is. But I can't stop a snake or snapper from getting through a
net and carrying off a fish and dropping it somewhere either. No one can
guarantee that unless their pond is indoors. What do we do Jan... get rid of
all our fish? This was a huge adult female no heron could lift no less
carry several miles. I'm not far from a lake and there has never been a
report of anyone catching goldfish, koi or any other exotic introduced
species there in all the years I've lived here. No wait... one summer
someone hooked a pacu and thought it was a piranha.

Even if your koi, for a fact, proven with a culture only had carp pox,
that
in and of itself IS contagious, low contagion, but still contagious.

So? See above. Any heron that can carry off a koi as large as she was
would have to be twice the size of an eagle. There are no birds here that
large. There is no way anyone can guarantee any fish kept outside will not
be hauled off by some predator.

You just jumped right on the bandwagon. ;-)

Guess I'm guilty of that also, check please, I ready to disembark. ~ jan

Before jumping on the bandwagon perhaps a few questions asked would be
helpful instead of immediately going for the throat... something that never
happened on this group before.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.