Old 13-02-2007, 12:18 PM posted to austin.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Using gray water

"Bob" wrote in message
news
Our washing machine is near an outside wall. I chiseled through the

brick,
cut a
hole in the inside wall, and installed a two inch PVC pipe about three

feet
tall.

On the outside, the PVC pipe goes into a 55 gallon plastic barrel which

lays
on its side. I rigged up an attachment to the bottom of the barrel onto
which I attached a hose.

I run hose out about 150 feet to water Live Oak trees. The washer uses
about 30 gallons per wash load, so rather than waste it in the septic
system, I thought it was better to use for watering. We never use bleach

in
the wash, only Tide.

My question is: Is there anything in the water that will damage the

trees?

whatever 'Tide' is. One thing I had a think about earlier this summer when
considering running grey water on to the lawn is the salt content from
washing powders. Constant applications of soluable salts is not good for
your soil. I don't know about trees, some native plants in some countries do
not like phosphorous for instance that is in some detergents. Do google
searches under various headings and see what you come up with and then make
an 'informed' decision on what you find. I spent several days reading many
opinions on the net and decided against using it on my lawn. Doesn't mean
you shouldn't use it on your trees, some people recommend it if you google
enough, just suggest you sample a good variety of literature.

rob