Old 15-02-2007, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Moles/gophers heading my way - how to stop?

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:34:28 -0800, "Zootal"
wrote:

It's funny how the people who want to kill things because of their
attachment to their turf and plants are also the ones with the most
problems with what you perceive to be pests. Moles are insectivores
and I don't think they eat bulbs. I could be wrong.

It's now what they eat that bugs me - it's the devestation they do to the
landscape and garden . That is why I tolerate racoons and skunks and
possums and neighborhood kids. Pests, yes, but they don't eat much, and
don't do much damage. But things that dig up the landscape is another
problem entirely.

We have an armadillo living either on or near our property. He/she
comes and noses around and messes up the mulch. Call me crazy, and
the climate of this newsgroup will do just that, but I love that these
critters have a place to go. When I bought this house there were huge
fields of native grasses and trees and these animals have all been
forced off when the bulldozer shows up.

So, I am willing to tollerate damge to plants. If I have something
out there growing for me to eat and a bird gets it, I am so happy for
that bird, or skunk or raccoon or whatever. I love the snakes who lay
their eggs on my property, and the myriad lizards which lay their eggs
also.

I go so far as to be very careful when I cut down the ornamental
grasses and clean them up. The anoles like to hunker down in the
crown for winter. I'm always mindful that because I am human I do not
have the right to murder animals who may tear up a silly plant or ten.

HOWEVER, as I do have critters, they are welcome, and I rarely, if
ever, have problems with them.