Old 16-02-2007, 01:36 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
Jude Jude is offline

Default How do you get the most bang for your fruit & vege buck?

James wrote:
Produce is high these days. Cheapest for me for 5 daily store bought
fruit & vege servings a banana, cabbage, dry beans, carrot, squash.

Home grown is even more expensive because animals and birds eat my
fruits before they ripe. I do however get a few odd veges and a good
crop of tomatoes and garlic each year.

Dried beans aren't a fruit or veg. They're a legume/pulse.

I was HORRIFIED to find that artichokes cost $4.98 each at my market
over the weekend! I know the weather in cali has been bad but I didn't
expect them to triple in price....

Still cheap here are the stuff from Chile/Latin America like mangoes,
papaya, grapes.Everything else seems to be through the roof - even
what's not native to Cali!!