Old 16-02-2007, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Shrubs and others for beds with palms

"jay" wrote in message
ups.com...
I had a few palms installed in my yard in Wilmington, NC(the beach
area).

They created 3 beds. the 2 corner beds each have 2 tall sable palms
with a pindo between them.
The center bed has 2 Sagos with a pindo between them.

I am trying to figure out what other small shrubs & flowers I can
plant that will look good with the current layout.

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
jason

Although it's more involved, I've always found it helpful to read
descriptions from someone who's grown certain things, and then go find
pictures. Finally, go to nurseries with well-formed ideas. My favorite
sources for descriptions & commentary are Henry Mitchell's books. He was the
garden writer for the Washington Post. The chapters in his books are mostly
reprints of the newspaper columns, so they're short, and the information is
tightly packed - not much wandering. The books would actually be more
applicable to your garden than mine. He gardened in Washington DC, and
before that, somewhere further south - I don't recall where. You really
should get these books:

"One Man's Garden"
"The Essential Earthman"