Old 16-02-2007, 05:51 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
Seerialmom Seerialmom is offline

Default How do you get the most bang for your fruit & vege buck?

On Feb 15, 5:36 pm, "Jude" wrote:
James wrote:
Produce is high these days. Cheapest for me for 5 daily store bought
fruit & vege servings a banana, cabbage, dry beans, carrot, squash.

Home grown is even more expensive because animals and birds eat my
fruits before they ripe. I do however get a few odd veges and a good
crop of tomatoes and garlic each year.

Dried beans aren't a fruit or veg. They're a legume/pulse.

I was HORRIFIED to find that artichokes cost $4.98 each at my market
over the weekend! I know the weather in cali has been bad but I didn't
expect them to triple in price....

Still cheap here are the stuff from Chile/Latin America like mangoes,
papaya, grapes.Everything else seems to be through the roof - even
what's not native to Cali!!

It's not artichoke season here until around March. The best buys on
those are around that time and at Costco and Sam's Club you can get
huge artichokes, 4 pack, for about $4-$5. Unless we get massive
rainfall in the next month I don't think that'll be a problem. Other
parts of the year artichokes are imported from South America.