Old 16-02-2007, 07:35 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
Dawn Dawn is offline

Default How do you get the most bang for your fruit & vege buck?

James wrote:
Produce is high these days. Cheapest for me for 5 daily store bought
fruit & vege servings a banana, cabbage, dry beans, carrot, squash.

Winter produce is always expensive. Buy what's in season or on sale.
Around here there's almost always one variety of apples cheap, and
either a plum, peach, or nectarine on special.

Home grown is even more expensive because animals and birds eat my
fruits before they ripe. I do however get a few odd veges and a good
crop of tomatoes and garlic each year.

I find tomatoes and herbs are my best bet. Fresh herbs in the store are
$4-5 a handfull. I grow my own for a fraction of that price and dry the
extra. I freeze extra tomatoes and peppers for cooking with later. I
also dry the grape and cherry tomatoes.

I save orange rinds from time to time, cook them in simple syrup, and
dry them for use in baking. A little chopped candied orange is amazing
in cookies and cake, and it's much cheaper to make your own than buy it.

Dawn