Old 16-02-2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default ATTN: Ron and Galen Att: Galen

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

On the one hand you suggest banning certain posters, and then in the
next paragraph you argue against the very using the very same
characteristics used to identify certain posters. Banning simply
requires faith in using header information to determine identity. I
don't have such faith, the information is too easily forged/changed.

I agree with Galen here about not having faith in making a banning
decision on the basis of header information or ID - both can be forged
or changed and therefore not only is it unreliable but open to all sorts
of pitfalls - including the fact that someone determined enough could
get another poster banned unfairly.....I am also not comfortable with
the whole concept of banning posters who are capable of making a
contribution to the group (I feel slightly differently about obvious
spammers that only post to advertise either their commercial interests,
scams or links to dubious material.) This is the reason why I am a firm
believer in moderating on content only.....anyone can post on RPM as far
as I am concerned as long as they don't violate the charter (and that
goes for both Carol and Roy).....any non-clear rejections should always
be discussed by more than one moderator - not only because one person
might read something one way and another person another, additionally
it gives a degree of protection to the moderator in question (pressing
the reject button) from any slurs made against their integrity or
neutrality....

Gill