Old 16-02-2007, 02:13 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
Phred Phred is offline

Default Julie from INDIA

In article , wrote:
[snip]
Many publishers of university level textbooks in science and engineering
print special editions for sale in Third World countries. These books
are generally printed on thinner paper, have paper rather than hard covers
and sell for a small fraction of what the regular edition goes for in
developed countries. I've seen quite a few of these that grad students
bring with them when they come to study here in Canada. A book costing
e.g. $75 in Canada might have an edition selling for $5 in India. From
the point of view of the publisher, they know that they can't sell them
for the full price in poor countries, and all the editorial expense has
already been paid, so it makes sense to get the many extra sales at such
very low prices since only the low cost of printing and distributing them
in the target coutnry is involved.

There was a bit of a flap recently about people selling these books into
affluent countries via the Internet, but I don't know how it was resolved
if, indeed, it was.

When I was in India about 20 years ago, I bought a regional flora (4
volumes) at about 40 rupees (ca. USD4.00 at the time) per volume, on
the recommendation of a local botanist. It cost me a few dollars to
post them back home; but if I had bought them from here (Oz) the price
from the Indian publishers would have been USD40.00/volume plus post.
Their logic at the time was that the "exchange rate" for overseas
sales should be 1 rupee = USD1 because those foreigners can afford it.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID