Old 17-02-2007, 01:41 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
Gregory Morrow Gregory Morrow is offline

Default How do you get the most bang for your fruit & vege buck?

maxine in ri wrote:

On Feb 16, 12:55 pm, "Seerialmom" wrote:

Not saying these are the "freshest" fruits/vegetables but they do
still have shelf-life at the .99¢ Only Stores. Won't work for anyone
not in California, Nevada, Texas or Arizona of course. For example
yesterday when I was in there saw 4 packs of Asian pears and 5lb bag
of white potatoes.

Oh! One other place for good buys on good produce are the ethnic
markets. I shop at the Asian market, and the prices are amazing.
$1.30/lb for ginger root; $1.99 for pineapple; Garlic 6/$1; Shallots
$0.99/bag of couple dozen small.

Yup, you are spot - on :-)

Just got back from Tai Nam, an Asian store here on the North Side of
Chicago (south of Argyle on Broadway)...spent 12 bucks for three big
bags of stuff, including produce:

- ginger @ .79/lb, got a big lovely knob for .30 cents

- a hefty bag of Thai purple basil for a buck, the aroma of it was
nice coming home on the grotty #36 bus on a O degree day. They had
loverly mint, cilantro...

- big honkin' okra for $1.99/lb

- nice pea pods $1.99/lb

- pound bag of bean sprouts for .50 cents

- decent big red bell peppers for $1.49/lb...the local stupormarkets
have squashed PITIFUL specimens of these for around three bux per
pound. Where do Tai Nam and these other Asian grocers get theirs, I
wonder...is it a Big SeKKKret or something...???

- Napa cabbage for .50 cents/pound

- bag of Thai bird peppers for .99 cents

- tray of nice peeled garlic cloves for $1.25

There was tons of other super produce but I can only carry so much and
EAT so much, lol...

And these are winter - season - in - Chicawgo prices...

Scored a 15 oz. can of French Market coffee for $3.49, and some name -
brand European chocolate (Lindt, Ferrero...) for less than it would be
on sale at Walgreen's or wherever...

LOTSA interesting sweets for Chinese New Year, I must say they go all
out for fanciful packaging...

Oddest Asian shopping find of the day (did NOT buy): "Fruit -
flavoured beef jerky". WTF...???

Next week I'm getting a big wok - skillet w/handle, they have a huge
selection of such for under ten bucks, perfectly serviceable for
everyday use...

I also go to Edgewater Produce here on Clark St. in Chicago, it's
Hispanic - run and produce is dirt cheap there too...half to a quarter
the price of major stupormarkets and better quality to boot.

--
Best
Greg