Old 26-03-2003, 11:08 AM
andyp

Default slug pellets?

I also use pellets in a Ring of Steel approach around the veg and
greenhouse.
I tried not to use any pellets the year before last but the veg (mainly
lettuce) and the marigolds were very badly affected.
I regularly get upwards of 20 frogs in the pond at this time of year and in
a garden of about 25' x130' I thought that they would spread out quite well
and eat most of the frogs and snails...wrong.
I also used 3 beer traps which certainly attracted and collected a lot of
slugs but the damage to the plants went on unabated. They even laid their
eggs under the traps (slug-x)!

This year I will go back to the ring of steel approach placing the pellets
around the outside of the greenhouse and along the edges of the veg patch
with a fair sprinkling amongst the bedding plants.

As to the original question of how poisonous they are I do not know but I
would imagine that if eaten they will cause some stomach discomfort and that
after a few days/weeks on the ground they probably become less and less
poisonous.

AndyP

--
"Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates

"Nicholas" wrote in message
how safe are they round veg?

I want to be as organic as possible but the buggers are just
everywhere.

TIA

Nicholas