Old 17-02-2007, 12:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default How was your summer?

"Chookie" wrote in message
I am unhappy wiht my tomato results. Hardly a tomato from any of my
plants.
The three that I have eaten so far were nice, but that's not much of a
crop
from 7 plants!

And my beans have all been strange. Usually you get a big flush of beans,
then more later on. I've only been getting one harvest per plant. Just
lack
of water, I think.

i've been unhappy with my toms and beans too! but different reasons i think.
the tomatoes are still VERY short, although there's lots of fruit (small) -
just not ripe yet. the main trouble i'm having is something eating them as
soon as they're almost ready :-) the humans have only had about 4. i expect
a big flush in the next few weeks - i netted most of them -, & that will be
my crop. :-( i have SO many plants, i wanted to bottle as many as possible
but i don't think there'll be many in the end, and only small too. we'll
see!

my beans are mostly just tragic. i think it's partly that the weather (here)
was too cool for too long, & some of them have a mineral deficiency i think
due to my practically-virgin clay soil - they just look weird and wrong.
those which are good are really coming on now, but there'll be frost again
in a month. sigh. i planted more the other day in defiance g

peas have been good (which surprised me) & most of my stuff has gone much
better than i expected, but it's been quite a battle i must say. most of my
stuff is coming out too small. i expect next season & every thereafter to be
much better. (provided i can keep the wallabies at bay ;-) considering my
awful soil, the carrots are pretty good now!! albeit a little weirdly shaped
;-)

Did my autumn planting into punnets today...

heavens, you're organised. must get to that!!
kylie