Old 17-02-2007, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Moles/gophers heading my way - how to stop?

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:20:45 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Jangchub contains these words:

This is a whole lot different than saying His Holiness shoots
aggressive birds at the feeders with a rifle. Miles different. He
uses the sound of the air gun.

He fires a weapon of death and injury, whose pellets might well hit
any bird, " just to make a sound" ? He could perfectly well make a
scare-noise in some harmless way that's not associated with causing
death and injury. A compressed air horn, clapping hands, or banging
saucepan lids together.
For him to buy, keep, use an air rifle, tacitly supports that industry
and outlook.

He happens to do this not only to
protect the birds of prey, but to help the predators and keep them
from killing and creating more non-virtue, which will hold them for
eons in the animal realm. They eat meat, but they kill with their
talons and beak, ripping at flesh. For H.H. this is an act of
compassion for the raptor.

I suspect he has more sense and humility than to pretend that.

Raptors kill/ dismember/ eat meat because otherwise they would die.
The same justification he uses for his own meat consumption. At least
birds don't pretend to only do it out of social courtesy.
Why would birds killing and slicing meat with the body/tools provided
by their creator for the purpose, be any more, or less virtuous, than a
slaughterman picking up a tool designed for the purpose and using it to
kill and butcher the meat which HH then eats?

Secondly, His Holiness eats meat only when his health absolutely
requires it

As do raptors.

and when he goes to a special award dinner or has audience
with people from other countries which don't know Buddhists are mostly
vegetarians

Oh, puhlease.

He never travels incognito or alone. Wherever he goes, worldwide, he
is escorted AND preceded by security operations and a whole team making
his arrangements in advance in minute detail.His hosts know in advance
who and what he is, and are instructed well in advance, what his needs
are and the protocol for hosting the Dalai Lama. If hosts of such an
eminent guest offer him a dinner menu that includes meat, it's because
they have been pre-advised it won't cause offence, and he might choose
to eat it.. Not, because they know nothing about Buddhism.

It's not that important for a living Buddha to be
concerned with karma because he no longer creates it.

Aside from social occasions, he also chooses to eat meat off his own
bat. In order for him to do so, someone HH believes does have karma to
consider, has killed and prepared that flesh on his behalf. Are you
saying, HH has no concern for that person's karma?

I can't or won't
allow someone to say His Holiness shoots birds with his rifle when I
know he would rather die.

Well, no. When faced with the option of "eat killed meat, or die",
HH chose that animals would die rather than himself.

Janet

Is nothing sacred to you, even in part? I didn't think so. I've
never seen one nice post to me in the entire time I've been coming to
this newsgroup. I see nothing changes in the small minded. And no,
not everyone knows the protocol. H.H. attendants do not instruct
anyone as it is the hosts invitation and that said the host...oh
forget it. I certainly don't need to defend The Dalai Lama. You just
dislike me, so you make a feable attempt at talking about someone like
he is a rock star.