Old 17-02-2007, 04:30 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] hairyarms@aussiemail.com.au is offline

Default How was your summer?

On Feb 16, 2:16 pm, Chookie wrote:
I am unhappy wiht my tomato results. Hardly a tomato from any of my plants.
The three that I have eaten so far were nice, but that's not much of a crop
from 7 plants!

I have more tomatoes than you can shake a stick at. Sadly, due to a
little disaster with labels most are cherry not the range that i had
intended. Very tasty but sooooo tedious to preserve or cook with.

And my beans have all been strange. Usually you get a big flush of beans,
then more later on. I've only been getting one harvest per plant. Just lack
of water, I think.

I grew the diggers green/purple stripey ones. Very tasty and tender,
good crop and cute!

I grew okra for the first time - interesting and very pretty habit and
flowers. SWMBO wants them in the flower garden next year.

The sweet corn worked this year (yum!) after last year being very
chewy.

Chillis and eggplant are powering on in the heat.

Asparagus has proved very hardy under the circumstances, having failed
in year #1. The trick turned out to be, plant out the seedlings at
the end of Summer (not in Spring) so they don't fry. They get their
roots going before winter dormancy and then they are ready to benefit
from deep watering the following spring/summer. Then they don't care
how hot it gets.

On the whole I was pleased (this being only the second summer here)
but the heat baked and killed several things and sent others bolting
before their time, despite plenty of water. Successive plantings
don't work if you cannot get seedlings to establish for weeks on end.

Why is that the time that you want to eat lettuce does not agree with
when you can grow it? Must speak to the Powers That Be about fixing
up the climate. A serious issue.

Before you report me for illegal watering, I have an irrigation
license and a dam.

David