Old 17-02-2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Chocolate scented flowers

Jangchub wrote in
:

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:30:33 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

One of the email lists I subscribe to was talking about chocolate
scented flowers (I had no idea they existed!) and provided this link:

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/

I thought I'd share. I'd love to hear anyone's personal experiences
with these flowers. Do they REALLY smell like chocolate?

I think the bulk of these plants and seeds "look" like the color or
chocolate, but the only plant I've had actual experience with which
had a chocolate fragrance is chocolate geranium. I didn't search the
site you gave, but I love the chocolate delphinium flowers.
=

Here are a few others that smell like chocolate (from the article that
gave the link I posted). I don't know how I forgot about Chocolate Mint.
I was always a fav of mine!

Chocolate-Scented Houseplants

Chocolate-Scented Geranium, Pelargonium.
Most scented "geraniums" are actually pelargoniums. More than one variety
has leaves that carry a "chocolate" scent, although I have to say that
scent perception is an individual thing. Some of my friends smell
chocolate. Others don't. Pelargoniums are mostly houseplants, but you can
also treat them as annuals in your garden; they're too tender to
overwinter outdoors. Put them in soil that drains well in a place where
they'll be shaded from the hot afternoon sun. Water only when soil is
dry.

Chocolate-Scented Orchid, Oncidium Sharry Baby.
The many delicate-looking flowers of this tall, gorgeous orchid are
cherry red with white-tipped lips and give out a delightful scent. Unlike
some orchids, it's not too picky about its growing conditions. Just be
sure to place it somewhere like a kitchen or bathroom where it will get a
good amount of humidity as well as the bright, indirect light it needs to
flower. Or you could put it on a tray of pebbles with water underneath
and occasionally spray it. The soil should be dry before you water.
Sweet-scented Sharry Baby does grow tall, so make sure your pot is heavy
and stable!

Chocolate-Scented Outdoor Plants

Chocolate Daisy, Berlandiera lyrata.
These daisylike blooms—with their yellow petals and maroon and orange
center—can be a cheery addition to your chocolate garden. The plant
blooms at night and emits a chocolate scent in the morning. Depending on
wind direction, you might catch the fragrance up to 30 feet away! The
plant is drought tolerant and can be planted in sun or partial shade.

Chocolate Cosmos, Cosmos atrosanguineus.
If dark chocolate is your weakness, plant some Cosmos. These gorgeous
dark burgundy flowers let loose their beguiling scent in the late
afternoon, so dedicated chocoholics might pair them with Chocolate
Daisies, which emit their scent in the morning. Chocolate Cosmos need
well-drained soil and full sun; the heat of midsummer really gets them
going.

Chocolate Mint, Mentha piperita cv.
Got a craving for a peppermint pattie? The taste of these edible leaves
will remind you of this favorite minty-chocolate treat. Try some in
coffee or hot chocolate. Or dry the leaves and mix them into your
favorite brownie batter. Chocolate Mint does best with at least half a
day of sun. The plant can grow and spread aggressively, so try placing it
in a large container in your chocolate-themed garden.