Old 17-02-2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default *Very* clingy rosemary

On 17/2/07 15:34, in article
, "La Puce"
wrote:

On 16 Feb, 18:03, "'Mike'" wrote:
well you wouldn't agree and give praise if it was would you?
So why reply?
Just HOW nasty CAN you get?
:-(((((

Don't worry Mike and thank you for your support. As I said I've found
Jackman's, the variety she said she never heard of, nor her husband
Ray, nor her books nor google. And Charlie advised her to see at
Burncoose - and they've got it. Mind boggle ...

http://www.burncoose.co.uk

Charlie did not advise me to see that variety at Burncoose, he advised me to
ask which they have in their car park. That remark is extremely misleading.
You gave me the wrong and incomplete name originally and therefore what you
gave was untraceable. That is not *my* fault but you still persist in
calling it "Jackman's" which is how the confusion arose and why I said there
was no such plant.
Since you gave the correct name, I have established that Burncoose and one
other nursery in the east of UK have that plant. Even Filippi doesn't have
it and as it is not unknown for nurseries to mis-label things, some being
worse than others, I am waiting to hear more from the owners of the house
and to receive a reply from Burncoose as to which is in their car park.
There is no photograph of that variety available, Burncoose don't show it in
their catalogue, nor do they name it as a new variety, so it's possible it's
an unknown one they've named themselves. That happens in some nurseries
when a plant is not identifiable or is e.g. brought back from abroad and the
Plant Finder is full of such examples. We have a shrubby lonicera here that
nobody has ever been able to identify so we simply call it Lonicera 'Hill
House'. We have a rampantly climbing orange-flowered tropaeolum someone
brought us from Peru. You won't find a photograph of those anywhere on the
internet, either.

That might mean R. Jackman's Prostrate is the plant I'm searching for but it
might not. It might also be how the eastern UK nursery got hold of it - from
Burncoose. I am not convinced - personally - that the labelling of that
rosemary as Jackman's Prostrate is conclusive as to its identity.
Anyone can Google for information on prostrate rosemaries, which is what you
did. If I thought that would be the easy method of identifying this one, I
would have been satisfied with doing the same. As it is, I'm hoping to hear
from people who actually know what I'm looking for and at.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk