Old 17-02-2007, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tina tina is offline

Default What soil type would you put in raised beds?

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 00:18:55 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

My soil is SOLID clay, miles clayier that the lady called carol who is
on the grow your own Veg TV program, when she described hers as heavy
clay, ours is SOLID clay. e.g. If I crab some I can mold it into any
shape i like, bowls, stick men etc :-)

Luckily I have a friend who works at a stables who has offered me some
horse manure, as well as a friend who owns 300 chickens who has also
offered me some chicken manure.
In readiness for my plot I set up 5 compost bins, although it doesnt
look to have composted sufficiently yet.

I have an oak tree at the end of the garden & I collected 5 black bin
bags full of leaves, & shredded them, so plan to chuck that in s well.

I'm also going to buy a couple of 8ft by 4ft plaster boards & chuck
those in as well in the hope that the gypsum in the boards may help to
break the solid clay up a bit.

which means the poster will have to bring in soil if she does not have the
ideal type as you suggested. Sure, if the soil is all clay or all sand then
there may be some choice needing made. My advice was premised on the soil
being reasonably loam, not everyone is lucky enough to have that. That said,
if the soil she has is decent enough then don't worry too much whether it is
'perfect', just build the garden, plant and enjoy. Even 'perfect' soil won't
stay that way for too long if not treated nicely. The long term way you
treat your soil is the key, albeit pk is correct to avoid the extremes of
very sandy or clay soils.

rob