Old 19-02-2007, 01:45 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
Vandy Terre Vandy Terre is offline

Default How do you get the most bang for your fruit & vege buck?

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 07:06:53 -0000, (Dick Adams) wrote:

The best bang for your buck is a small hydroponics system. See the 11
plant system athttp://hydroponicsonline.com. There is a learning curve
and a high startup cost, but it has been worth it to me. Just be
prepared for more food than you expected!

I have some problems with the whole concept of hydroponics. I hold a degree in
agriculture from a major school, so I do have some basis for my disagreement
with hydroponic gardening. I argued this with professors also.

1. I believe hydroponic gardens can too easily be infested with disease.

2. I fear that growing in water rather than soil may cause the resulting food
to be of less vitamin/ mineral value. Science has yet to identify all the
benefits or disadvantages of the many compounds in soil. Still, there is
evidence that iron poor soil produces iron poor vegetables. Where are the
minerals in hydroponics.

3. Hydroponics must be one of the highest maintenance ways to grow vegetables.