Old 19-02-2007, 01:37 AM posted to rec.ponds
Tristan Tristan is offline

Default Interesting findings concerning strata temps (thermoclines) in a pond

Only way to know is a demand test. I have heard that water need to be
mixed well for a proper reading, however other than my ponds aeration
I just grab 5 samples of water and go. It may take a considerably
larger amount than the 10ppm that is usually recomended, and going
with that strong a dose is in itself quite a chance. But since it
takes 1.9 grams to treat 250 gal, so for 2000 gal its gonna need a
total of 15.2 grams of PP or approx 2 1/4 teaspoons of PP per 2000
gal.

Formula is:

Grams of PP needed = GAL to treat x 0.0038 x 2 mg/L
Regards

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 00:41:02 GMT, ~ jan
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:23:10 -0600, Tristan
wrote:

When you do your pp treatments, what ppm do you shoot for? I heard 2 ppm is
good for removing organics. ~ jan

I do not go by any set PPM rate. I go by what a demand test indicates
is needed to obtain good water. It can have a good degree of variation
depending on actual organic load. 2ppm is however a safe starting
point, which is not usually harmfull for fish but on the wame hand it
may not oxidize all that needs oxidizing either.

This is my situation, at the Demo Pond there is a 1-2 inch fluffy mulm
layer. You step on it and it goes poof away from your foot. Because of
thieves we can't grow the fish large enough to help move it to the bottom
drain. I'd like to add it dry to the 55 gallon barrel (pump chamber) so am
wondering how much for 2 ppm for 2000 gallons. (And I'm being very lazy, as
I could figure it out, but if someone already knows, why tax my brain?) ;-)
~ jan

-------