Old 19-02-2007, 05:56 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
Anthony Matonak[_2_] Anthony Matonak[_2_] is offline

Default How do you get the most bang for your fruit & vege buck?

Vandy Terre wrote:
....author lost in the sea of quotes...
The best bang for your buck is a small hydroponics system.

I have some problems with the whole concept of hydroponics. I hold a degree in
agriculture from a major school, so I do have some basis for my disagreement
with hydroponic gardening. I argued this with professors also.

The world is enriched by having diverse viewpoints.

1. I believe hydroponic gardens can too easily be infested with disease.

Hydroponic gardens can be easily sterilized. This is, in fact, one of
their greatest selling points. Soil isn't as easy to completely clean.

2. I fear that growing in water rather than soil may cause the resulting food
to be of less vitamin/ mineral value.

I believe a great deal of research has gone into this issue and, for
the most part, it was found that it's not a problem as long as the
plant is supplied the right materials. One method that I've heard of
uses worm castings to a large extent. This means they have to grow
worms as well but it doesn't seem to be too difficult.

3. Hydroponics must be one of the highest maintenance ways to grow vegetables.

Hydroponics can be largely automated. It's still a bit of work but the
advantage is that it produces many times over soil farming. On the basis
of the amount of harvested crop, the hydroponics may be much less work.

Anthony