Old 19-02-2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan ~ jan is offline

Default Interesting findings concerning strata temps (thermoclines) in a pond

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:19:36 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

Just one other question on the water movement/aeration - if you did this
(ie. aerated from the bottom rather than a fountain on top) in a smaller
pond, such as most of us have/will have, wouldn't it have the effect of
chilling all the water and losing the low level haven that
fish/creatures use to over-winter?
Gill

It's been found that in shallow ponds, under 4-5 feet there isn't much
stratification going on. I know in my 3 footers, it would be pretty darn
cold.... thus why I chose to keep a heater in it and use as needed. ~ jan