Old 26-03-2003, 02:32 PM
simy1

Default Germinating seeds question

c (TOM KAN PA) wrote in message ...
I've always put them in the oven, the pilot light kept them warm.
Can't do it this year. So, I'm putting them under the florescent lights where I
used to move them to after they germinated. My questions a
Do the lights need to be turned on before they germinate?

for most vegetable seeds, no. In fact, I can't off the top of my head
remember a veggie seed that requires light, though I know that, for
example, goosefoot seeds germinate only with light (it is a weed).

How much longer will it take for them to germinate in a room where the
temperature is about 60-62 degrees than in the oven?

In the case of lettuce, only a few days longer. In the case of okra,
they will not germinate. Ditto for tomatoes. I always find that even
the oven is too cold for okra.
Now I place seeds in a wet paper towel, fold the towel with seeds in,
place the towel in ziploc bag, place bag on pipe exiting my water
heater. The temp is typically mid-90. One day and they are off to the
races (two days and they root into the towel and give you a headache).
It is the consistently warmest place in my house, easily beating
fridge, stereo and sunny window.