Old 19-02-2007, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Tips on how to redeem a badly designed garden?

"Jason Hallway" wrote in message
Below is the plan of the garden of a house I have just purchased. The
conservatory is just an oblong shaped bricked wall of approx 5 foot tall
as
a base which holds up the glass frames. The garden is level with the top
of
the base, so that it has stairs leading up to it:-

approx 35 foot
| | |
| |____________ |
| h | |
| o | |
| u conservatory | garden |
| s | | approx
20
foot
| e ____________| |
| |__ |
| stairs |
| |--- |

First impressions are that the conservatory is far too big for the garden,
and I'm tempted make it smaller and put it in the corner where the stairs
are. This has the advantage that it could be used for storage if need be,
as
could the walkway next to the house back wall.

There is the temptation to just pull the whole thing down so as to open
the
garden up, but there is still the problem of the garden being five foot
above the walk way, and level with the neighbours' gardens on both sides.
If
I lowered the garden, it would effectively increase the height of the
boundary fence to 5 foot over what is now -6 foot, making 11 foot in
total.
So that I may end up plunging the garden into a dark pit.

Does any kind people have any advice on what they would do or what I could
read to consider my options?

Thanks in advance.

Which way does it face and what do YOU want of the garden and/or the
conservatory?
Family?
Dogs?
Garden parties?