Old 19-02-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Tips on how to redeem a badly designed garden?

On 19/2/07 17:31, in article ,
"Jason Hallway" wrote:
snip

There is the temptation to just pull the whole thing down so as to open the
garden up, but there is still the problem of the garden being five foot
above the walk way, and level with the neighbours' gardens on both sides. If
I lowered the garden, it would effectively increase the height of the
boundary fence to 5 foot over what is now -6 foot, making 11 foot in total.
So that I may end up plunging the garden into a dark pit.

Does any kind people have any advice on what they would do or what I could
read to consider my options?

Thanks in advance.

My advice is to live with the situation for at least a year. You will see
then how you use the house, how it all looks in summer, how much storage
space you need and how much living space your conservatory adds to your
house when you spread yourselves out in both. It must have been quite
expensive to build, so I wouldn't start off by destroying it just yet. The
previous owners built it for a reason so living with it for a while might
show you if their reasons are yours.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk