Old 20-02-2007, 09:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default What would be the lowest water temperature survivable by eitherKoi or Goldfish?

Tristan wrote:
The big this is dig
it deep enough so the pond does not become one solid chunk of ice. I
do not know the frost level in your area but I would not think its all
that deep..

I dug down to 3 foot max on my old pond - it got around 3-4" of ice on
the top when the weather was at its coldest.....I used to put one of the
kid's balls on the surface to keep an air hole in the ice...

.....That ground
does offer good heat retention, and you will gain the heat lost fromn
a foundation into a pond if it is built close enough in lots of
cases.....Its unreal just how much heat can be lost through a
foundation. I dunno if youy all have slabs or basements, (more than
likely slabs) and even they will radiate and lose heat into the
ground.

The house is on concrete foundations - the part closest to the proposed
pond was dug down to around 6 foot (it is an addition so I watched them
do it).....never really thought about the house itself keeping the
ground warm but it is pretty obvious - also explains why the water
feature reservoir only gets a thin layer of ice.....

Gill