Old 26-03-2003, 03:08 PM
clc

Default Germinating seeds question

In the case of lettuce, only a few days longer. In the case of okra,
they will not germinate. Ditto for tomatoes. I always find that even
the oven is too cold for okra.
Now I place seeds in a wet paper towel, fold the towel with seeds in,
place the towel in ziploc bag, place bag on pipe exiting my water
heater. The temp is typically mid-90. One day and they are off to the
races (two days and they root into the towel and give you a headache).
It is the consistently warmest place in my house, easily beating
fridge, stereo and sunny window.

All of my tomatoes germinated in a room that never gets above 68 degrees and
the only extra heat was from the fluorescent lights above them. I didn't
put them under the lights for germination purposes, I put them under the
"heat" of the light for germination.

Cheryl