Old 20-02-2007, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Walmart "Bonzai"

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:52:10 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

What causes the loss of leaves? I wonder if the other ones that were being
sold for $5 ea. due to their leaves being shriveled and dry are actually
going to recover?

Immediate changes in light, over watering, under watering.

This plant had brown spots on the leaves (not scale, the brown parts were
sort of indented into the leaves) which made me think they got cold
exposure during our recent cold snap but it's just a guess on my part.

If the plant you posted is the plant you have, it looks healthy.
Ficus does not like to be moved around a lot. I have two large trees
and I move them indoors in winter, unless we put the greenhouse up,
then I put them in there. I didn't put up the greenhouse this year,
so...kitchen. Both lost many leaves when I moved them into a
different lighting situation. Even if you put a plant in a south
facing window, two inches from the glass, it will only get half the
direct sun it got outside.

So, your plant looks fine. If it loses leaves, it will be fine.
That's what I told you in another post. Don't worry if it happens.
Evenly moist, plenty of light, outside in summer (and it may need
several waterings a day outside in that small pot) and you'll be fine.