Old 21-02-2007, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default More rosemary

On 21 Feb, 08:24, "Dave Poole" wrote:
I think it is fair to assume that any plant sporting the Jackmans
name, must be an old or fairly old English variety due to the
association with Jackmans of Woking.

Is Jackmans of Woking an old nursery now called Wyevale?

That said, it is virtually
unknown apart from the plants offered by Burncoose and therefore its
true identity must be highly suspect. There's a lot of difference
between a plant originally acquired from Jackmans (that they may have
acquired from another nursery/customer/friend etc.) and a variety
raised by Jackmans and given their name. The chances are it is
probably a recognised variety (in S. Europe)

At the first description I thought of the 'Noe' variety which you can
see everywhere in Provence, and in Marseilles where I go every year
visiting family. Though I have never heard of it in England. The 'Noe'
is prostrate and is called rosmarinus lavendulaceus 'Noe' - the story
goes that Noah (Noe) polished his acaccia boat with this rosemary. The
only 'clinging climbing' rosemary I have seen in England is the
rosmarinus prostratus either named Blue Rain or Jackman's. Indeed
these have been named by someone, but the plant is still the same one
I have seen.