Old 21-02-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
CB CB is offline

Default zoysia plugs

thank you!!
"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:08:19 -0500, "cb" wrote:

Anyone had any experience redoing their lawn with zoysia plugs? I've never
done this and saw an add in the newspaper for this type of grass. I live
in zone 7. Haven't had much luck with grass, as I have had a nasty grub
problem and also I think some fungus. My lawn is filled with old
crabgrass, too, and it has some places where the drainage isn't all that
great. The add made it sound like zoysia was hardy enough for anything,
but I'm not sure if it'd work where I am b/c of these problems that I
don't have too much money to correct. (I do attempt to correct the grub
and crabgrass each year.) I thought I'd ask opinions about planting with
plugs, and whether or not it's as easy as it sounds.

It can take years for it to mesh, it is very difficult to mow, and
will still be subject to grubs and/or diseases.

Your soil needs to be fixed before you'll have success with turf.

There is plenty of information online about how to prepare the soil
for sod. Sod is not very expensive. It's instant. In the low/wet
spots of your lawn, grass will not thrive well so I suggest you plant
something which likes wet feet. Search for those online. Maybe bog
sage which has a beautiful true blue flower. Many options.