Old 21-02-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] judith.lea99@googlemail.com is offline

Default Thornless climbing rose to grow in container

On 21 Feb, 16:44, Sacha wrote:
On 21/2/07 16:10, in article , "Alla

Bezroutchko" wrote:
Sacha wrote:
On 20/2/07 14:33, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Alla Bezroutchko" wrote in message
. ..
Could someone recommend a rose for the following situation:

My choices would be Madam Alfred Carrier which is white
or Veichenblau which is rather optimistically called violet blue!
There are a number of very good pinks with a few thorns but none that I can
recall that are completely thornless
HTH

Zephirine Drouhin is good with regard to thorns and I see that the
Australians have a range from Wallara (sp?) which they call Smooth Touch. I
don't know that they're available in this country, though.

Charlie, Sacha,

Thanks. I'll have a look at Madame Alfred Carrier and Zephirine Drouhin.
I'll have to see the thorns myself. Pity about the blackspot.

Alla.

Some roses are more prone to all the ills than others but location might
have some bearing on it, too. Down here in the soggy south west they get
black spot more easily, for example and it seems that the cleaner the air,
the worse the problem! In the 'good old days' of smoggy London, roses used
to do wonderfully, apparently or so the legend goes.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Sacha, can you recommend a good spray for black spot and mildew on
roses that can be purchased retail? Many thanks.

Judith at home