Old 18-02-2003, 09:39 PM
paghat

Default Favorite Plants??

In article , "Shelly"
wrote:

Hmm...I think my absolute favorite would have to be my blue-eyed grass
Sisyrinchium montanum, especially when the buds are just about to open, and
they really do remind me of a little blue eye, peaking out from between the
blade-like leaves. I think I especially like them because very few people
notice them when they visit my garden...they are like my own little secret.

I have Sisyrinchium californicum, Yellow-eyed Grass, shown he
http://www.paghat.com/yelloweyed.html
and Olysnium douglasi, Blue-eyed grass, shown he
http://www.paghat.com/widowgrass.html
The blue-eyed is especially pleasing. If I spot S. montanum offered
locally, I'll likely add it to the array. This is all cool stuff. One
reason I don't understand the relatively recent fad for grass clumps as
decorative plants is because the same turf effects can be made had with
things like evergreen blue-eyed grass but with the addition of bright
flowers & not so quick to wear out in the center.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"