Old 22-02-2007, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default plant id please

"Paul O'Grady" wrote in message
Thanks everyone. Seems to be the answer. I had discounted a climber
because it seems like a substantial bush only very tall. Will have a
closer look tomorrow and see what it's climbing on.

What you're looking at is the mature phase, several plants like ivy
and holly have a mature flowering/fruiting phase and a juvenile -
making vegetative growth phase. This plant probably grew up a rotten
stump that's now fallen over and left the bushy ivy at ground level.
If you look at a mature holly, you'll see the top part of the plant
doesn't have the spiny protection of the lower juvenile branches. You
will see different foliage top and bottom on several conifers like
Chameacyparis species, with the flowers at the top.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp