Old 22-02-2007, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default More rosemary

On 22 Feb, 20:08, Sacha wrote:
But a few posts ago you were insisting that the plant at Burncoose is R.
Jackman's Prostrate - now you're saying it could be another plant
altogether! But when I suggested it might misnamed, you simply wouldn't
have it.

As Dave Poole has suggested:-

"I think it is fair to assume that any plant sporting the Jackmans
name, must be an old or fairly old English variety due to the
association with Jackmans of Woking. That said, it is virtually
unknown apart from the plants offered by Burncoose and therefore its
true identity must be highly suspect. There's a lot of difference
between a plant originally acquired from Jackmans (that they may have
acquired from another nursery/customer/friend etc.) and a variety
raised by Jackmans and given their name. The chances are it is
probably a recognised variety (in S. Europe) and that the correct
name
has been forgotten or lost along the way. As a result it may have
spent a short time as 'prostrate rosemary from Jackmans' and it
doesn't take a great leap for it to become Rosemarinus 'Jackman's
Prostrate'. It happens quite a lot in the trade resulting in one
plant having several names".

Do you understand what David is explaining or are you going to give us
yet another lesson using Y Z and X? You have never suggested it had
been renamed - you've suggested Jackman's didn't exists after I first
mentioned it because you never heard of it, Ray never heard of it,
Google never heard of it and your book didn't mention it. There's a
wide world out there Sacha, and it doesn't only revolves around Sacha
and Ray and Hillhouse Nursery. I then tell you that in Bruncoose they
have a Jackman's in their carpark. You still didn't acknowledged this.
Then you tell us that they've told you so. Then you apologise about
making a mistake to where you had seen this plant, only to recomfirm
that it was where you thought it be. Confused? Tell me about it. Then
you give us a latin name lesson as if you are the only bearer of such
knowledge. Yes, I beleived from your description it is a Jackman's or
a Blue Rain, in France we call it Noe, not 'de noe' just 'Noe'. It is
therefore possilbe that it is a Noe, changed to Jackman's. However it
could also be a Blue Rain.

With that I can only say that your persistance with this is key to the
way you think and you control. You are determined and as Anne Jackson
put it, there's no way any body else's will get the last word. I will
make this Rosemary mystery my next project - it is far too interesting
to give up now.