Old 23-02-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tristin[_2_] Tristin[_2_] is offline

Default The benefits of UVC - newbie question

Don't mind all my replys to this post. I have nothing but the best of
recomendations for Hozelock. With the Bio Force, you do need a
"device" water fall etc so you can get the proper flowoout of the
pump. If the outlet of the hose is too low the water flow is too fast
thhrough the UVC, so its typical most folks use a water fall of approx
height to regulate flow. Yes, you can use a valve, but why fool with a
valve when you can adjust the outlet height when making a water fall.

The setup lends itself to supplying water to a veggie fitler or it
even works good if you feed a bakki shower or tower with the discharge
water.......its easy to setup a shower in a corner up along the house
wall or fence hidden by plants and get added benefits of having the
bakki shower or trickle tower..........

To adjust height, turn on pump and allow water to flow...hold end of
pump up say 2' to start......and direct outflow of hose into say a 5
gal bucket.and time it as to how fast it fills up the bucket. With
the amount of water in a known containers size and the time it took to
fill it, its easy to do the numbers and find out how much flow the
pump is putting out. Too nuch or too fast, rasie hose up say 2" more
and try again, too little lower hose and try again. HOld hose at
various heights and when yu get the desired flow the height the hose
is at is the height yu need to shoot for in regards to water fall
height etc........or height for a trickle tower....You can get good
clear water all without UVC with a decent veggie filter or trickle
tower, but things come together so much faster and you can get much
clearer water quicker, that to me if I only used it to get the ponds
water clear and allow filter media to catch up, then shut it off, I
would stlil go with a UVC. The hozelock uses a standard UVC bulb,
nothing special......

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:00:04 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

I was looking at the Hozelock products in my LFS and noticed that
Hozelock have a combined Pump, Filter, UVC combination product - the
price isn't exorbitant (but I guess that is subjective). Now my question
would be on the UVC side......

My understanding of UV usage in the marine aquatic side is that it is
used for prevention of parasites etc. Does the same theory apply to
Ponds as well with this UVC unit? Or is it just a water clarifier?

TIA
Gill

-------