Old 23-02-2007, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default planting blueberries - pot size?

On 23/2/07 15:45, in article
,
" wrote:

I have just bought a small Bluecrop plant to go with my establighed
Northland bush.
The Bluecrop is quite small at the mement - when moving it from the
garden centre's pot, should I put it in a container big enough to
support the full grown bush, or can I use a smaller one to start with
and then move it up again in a few years ?

(I have the perfect small pot, but will need to buy a larger one if
needed.. )

Don't move it into a bigger pot until it really looks as if it needs it -
probably next year and then onwards in stages. The reason for this is if
you plant it into a too-big pot immediately it gets far too much water and
the roots won't like standing around in the cold and wet.
If it looks rootbound now, move it into your perfect pot if it's about one
size up but otherwise I'd wait.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk