Old 23-02-2007, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tina tina is offline

Default Whats the best way to clean used railway sleepers?

Hi all,

Raised beds are looking like a possibility as I have just acquired 15
old used railway sleepers, no creasote but they look old & deffo look
to have been used on a real railway.

They are very very heavy and about 8ft 6 long. Took 2 men to lift them
1 at a time!!

Is there anyway I can clean them up before using them to make my
raised beds?

Please can anyone advise me ?

Would you line the beds with some sort of material so as to protect
the soil coming into contact with the wooden sleepers or is that
overkill?

Thanks very much for all your help.