Old 24-02-2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default The benefits of UVC - newbie question

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Gill,

We use a Tetra UV to kill the algae. Works fine and is not really
needed all season. It is much nicer for us than waiting for the algae
bloom to pass. Some would feel that it is better to let the bloom
kill itself off. That can take a long time, so we have gone to a UV.
With great results.

We would support the idea of being on the hogh side for strength.
Killing algea faster is fine. Failing to kill it off is a bummer.

Jim

Do you use it just to kill off the algae or do you find that, as it does
in a marine tank, that it also kills off pathogens, parasites and other
nasties....or do you use alternative control methods for these such as
PP dosing?

Gill