Old 24-02-2007, 01:43 AM posted to rec.ponds
Tristin[_2_] Tristin[_2_] is offline

Default The benefits of UVC - newbie question

Put it this way.....Don't get UVC and I pretty well bet with the first
algae bloom, you wished you had it. You will soon spend more time
combating and trying to knock back the algae than enjoying the pond
and fish......

I live in a hollow here too, but it seems to work opposite as it
seems to shelter this area from frosts. There is a very small strip of
land that runs along the rivers bott0om land area that just never
seems to get any of the heavy frosts or cold weather.

Anyway, The fisheries dept here has told me that algae laden water to
a point is fine, but after a point it soon bevcmes a hot bed for
problems.......so what I have found with the UVC is I use it for
killing algae, and have yet to have a need to dose most anya of the
preforms due to a sickness or problem, even though I do a PP treatment
just to celan up water etc after the idle period of fall and winter
is over.....so I still use PP in conjunctin with UVC.

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:00:04 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

I was looking at the Hozelock products in my LFS and noticed that
Hozelock have a combined Pump, Filter, UVC combination product - the
price isn't exorbitant (but I guess that is subjective). Now my question
would be on the UVC side......

My understanding of UV usage in the marine aquatic side is that it is
used for prevention of parasites etc. Does the same theory apply to
Ponds as well with this UVC unit? Or is it just a water clarifier?

TIA
Gill

-------