Old 24-02-2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default Growing Orchid Seed...Everyone should try this once

Last summer I started a pod on my Dendrobium antennatum. After waiting and
watching and waiting and watching a golf ball size fruit developed. Without
notice (at least it could have called my cell phone after all I did for this
plant) the pod exploded and one day I noticed want looked like small wood
shavings all over the plants around the dendrob. I was _________ (fill in
the blank and happy is not one of the choices).

So I gathered what I could from the pod so I could take it to someone to try
to sew in flask. On a neighboring Cattleya plant there was a large deposit
of seed. I took a bulb pan and put some old potting mix from some paphs I
was repoting. I knocked a bunch of seeds into the pan with the old used
mix. I figured it might have the fungus necessary for growth and it would
be fun to watch to see what happens.

Today under the 10x magnifier I can see bunches of the seed turning a granny
smith green and looking like real plant material.

Even if I don't get anything to grow up and bloom this is a great chance to
see how orchids grow in the wild (without leaving my greenhouse).

Now I know Al and Ray and the rest of you who flask seed everyday are saying
this guy is wacked. I can show you a whole basement full of orchid seed
sprouting but I am excited to see that nature really works sometimes.

Good Growing,
Gene